Woodland United Methodist Church Banner
FlameAbout Us

Woodland United Methodist Church tower


The history of Woodland United Methodist Church traces its beginnings back to 1873. The first mention of Woodland Church came in the minutes of the Quarterly Conference held on March 9, 1872, where the seed to build Woodland began as the members from Sycamore and Liberty churches planned to unite. Sometime in 1873, construction was completed and the newly combined congregation saw it as their purpose to preach the Gospel to those around them.

By 1923, the church building was enlarged. The pulpit was recessed and classrooms added. In 1948, the building was remodeled to include a new section by the cemetery, with additional classroom space. In 1953, the fellowship hall, which was originally an old school house relocated to the church site, was remodeled for the last time. In 1973, vinyl siding updated the exterior of the church and fellowship hall. It was not until 1998, that the fellowship hall and main church building were connected with a new office, handicapped accessible bathrooms, and a wide hallway which provided easy access and protection from the weather.